Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My really late Western Blog Post :)


Once Upon a Time in the West.
This movie though not my absolute favorite, was alot better than I had expected. I thought that Leone did a really outstanding job with the characters because each one was so different from the rest and it really set out to define the types of heros, villians, whores etc. of the western time period. From reading some reviews, most people view this film as EPIC and one of the best westerns ever made. I disagree. I thought there was an extreme lack of plot and the lack of dialogue really didn't help either. I think that this is the kind of movie that you need to watch a couple times, but that's not appealing to many considering it is a whopping two hours and forty-five minutes. I don't know if I'm just slow or dumb or something but I watched it for a second time at home and I had to try really hard to remember which character was which and who was good and who was bad, and it took alot of thinking to get the whole movie put together to make sense. If you're into sorting things out like that then this is a movie for you, but it's not something you can just sit back and enjoy because its just too confusing. I will admit though that at the end it was rewarding to understand everything that was going on. Overall I'd say this movie is a workout for the brain, but in the end what you get out of it is worth the sweat :)

No comments: