Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bringing Up Baby!


I guess I don't really see why people dislike this movie so much, I found it to be much more entertaining than the westerns we had watched. I know that a common thought is that Susan is such an annoying character and her vioce and non stop jabbering was something to make you want to turn the movie off, but that was sort of the whole point. The movie would be boring without her non stop annoyance, and I think her role is really crutial to pointing out the "screwball romantic comedy". She drives us nuts, and she certainly drives David nuts as well. David's uptight nature and Susan's outrageous personality are what really clash, and this is what Howard Hawks wants the viewers to see. He wants us to feel like David, he wants us to half hate the woman and half love her, make you debate between the two.
Another aspect of the movie I enjoyed was the sheer comedy and ridiculousness of the adventures that took place. Who in their right mind would ever get a pet leopard, and then loose it, and then chase after it, and then make it all turn into a love story...it's just bizarre... and that's why I like it. Lastly, I just think it is interesting that this movie kind of paved the way for adding in sexual comedic slurs that you had to be very attentive to catch.

Overall, good movie :)

1 comment:

topsy krets said...

i would agree that these romantic comedies are 100 times better than stage coach but u cant really hate on clint eastwoods performance in unforgiven but over all nice post schaef.