Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My Darling Clementine


So I'd have to admit, this movie is one of my least favorite out of any movie I have ever watched, but that would probably be due to my extreme dislike of westerns. So as to not focus on the plot line, I will discuss the characters and the acting that made these characters as fitting to their time period as they were. (Also the acting is one of the few parts of the film that I consider well done)

Henry Fonda, who played Wyatt Earp, did the best job out of all of them in my opinion, he really knew how to fulfill his role as a truely humble man, adding at times a rough edge, only to deal with the "bad". Victor Mature, who played Doc Holiday, did a really nice job of switching attitudes from being a complete downer (pessimist) to someone who lives for the moment. I think a really important character to point out is Old Man Clanton, played by Walter Brennan. This character really brought evil into a single human, and showed the viewers the truth of a real western bad man. Lastly, Clementine, played by Cathy Downs, was an excellent pick by Ford. She really knew how to protray herself as new to the town and everything about her (all mise-en-scene) fit the womanly role.

Overall, I guess by just writing about these characters and realizing the greatness of the acting, I have come one step closer to enjoying this movie. It's a great a cast, and Ford chose them all for the distinct reason of creating a realistic and successful western story.

No comments: