Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Double Indemnity


This movie was not my favorite, but I will say that by watching the other video about film noir and learning the techniques, that this movie really does fit that category. Double Indemnity, directed by Billy Wilder has all the common characteristics of the film noir genre: black film, dramatic crime plot, low key lighting, and strong sexual reference. The one aspect I felt it was missing was the high amount of violence that is usually associated with film noir. But that was okay with me because I hate fighting and blood and all that stuff. A character that really stood out to me was the manipulative character of Phyllis, played by Barbara Stanwyck. I really didn't see any bad in her when she was first introduced in the movie. I actually thought that she really loved Walter, and I didn't understand that she just wanted money out of it. I think Stanwyck was perfect for this character, even her physical appearance and her sly smile gives the notion that she really does have a filthy heart.

Over all, I'm going to say it and I know Mr. K will hate it, but I don't like black and white movies, and I have no way to relate to this movie in modern day times, so I didn't like it that much. I just thought that it fit the noir category and the casting was done very well.

No comments: